Good Evening Kreiva Families,
Today there was an incident where a photo of a student was shared with others in a very hurtful manner. When images are shared from one student to another via an electronic device without consent in a harmful or derogatory manner this is cyberbullying. I wanted to re-share definitions of bullying and cyberbullying as outline in our Code of Conduct and ask our families to please discuss with your student(s). We continue to employ restorative practices to support conflict resolution amongst our students whenever possible. Phones should not be in use by students during Kreiva classes unless a teacher explicitly asks for the device to be used for an activity. We recommend that phones are stored in backpacks during classes to not be a distraction or disruptive to the learning of your student or that of others. Thank you for your help and support.
Bullying and Cyberbullying Definitions (RSA 193-F:3) Bullying
Bullying is hereby defined as a single significant incident or a pattern of incidents involving a written, verbal, or electronic communication, or a physical act or gesture, or any combination thereof, directed at another pupil which:
1) Physically harms a pupil or damages the pupil’s property,
2) Causes emotional distress to a pupil,
3) Interferes with a pupil’s educational opportunities,
4) Creates a hostile educational environment, or
5) Substantially disrupts the orderly operation of the school.
Bullying shall also include actions motivated by an imbalance of power based on a pupil’s actual or perceived personal characteristics, behaviors, or beliefs, or motivated by the pupil’s association with another person and based on the other person’s characteristics, behaviors, or beliefs.
Cyberbullying is hereby defined as any conduct defined as “bullying” in this policy that is undertaken through the use of electronic devices. For purposes of this policy, any references to the term “bullying” shall include “cyberbullying.”
Kreiva Academy is committed to providing all pupils with a safe and secure school environment. This policy is intended to comply with RSA 193-F. Conduct constituting bullying and/or cyberbullying will not be tolerated and is hereby prohibited. Further, in accordance with RSA 193-F:4, Kreiva Academy reserves the right to address bullying and, if necessary, impose discipline for bullying that:
1) Occurs on, or is delivered to, school property or a school-sponsored activity or event on or off school property, or
2) Occurs off of school property or outside of a school-sponsored activity or event if the conduct interferes with a pupil’s educational opportunities or substantially disrupts the orderly operations of the school or school-sponsored activity or event.
- Jennifer Siegfried